Jeffrey Comins, Psy.D., The Collabrium
David L. Larson, M.D., Professor Emeritus Department of Plastic Surgery
Pam Dixon, Ph.D., Menttium Corporation
Lynn Sontag, MBA, Menttium Corporation
The mentees, mentors, and department chairs rated the mentees on impact of mentoring on the four domains. As rated by mentees, and with the exception of Systemic Thinking, all domains were significantly enhanced as a result of the mentoring program.
This prospective study on formal mentoring of medical school faculty demonstrated that a yearlong formal leadership mentoring program is an effective (p<.05) model for enhancing personal and organizational leadership and collegial relationships with academic physicians (mentees).
All seven mentees completed the 12 month program
Table 1: Comparison of the perception of Mentees’ skill in each domain BEFORE and AFTER the mentoring program
Table 2: Respondents’ perception of Mentee’s skills in each domain pre- and post-mentoring program
Table 3: Perceived Mentee change for each domain by Mentee and Department Chair as a result of mentoring
1. Jackson VA, Palepu A, Szalacha L, Caswell C, Carr PL, Inui T. “Having the right chemistry”: a qualitative study of mentoring in academic medicine. Acad Med 2003;78:328-334.
2.SambunjakD,StrausSE,MarusicA. Asystematicreviewofqualitativeresearchonthemeaningandcharacteristicsofmentoringinacademic medicine. J Gen Intern Med 2009; 25:72-78.
3.RustgiAK,HechtGA. Mentorshipinacademicmedicine. Gastroenterology2011;141:789-792.
4. Wanberg, C. R., Kammeyer-Mueller, J., & Marchese, J. Mentor and protégé predictors -and outcomes of mentoring in a formal mentoring program. Journal of Vocational Behavior 2006; 69:410-423.
5. Chun, J. U., Sosik, J. J., & Yun, N. Y. A longitudinal study of mentor and protégé outcomes in formal mentoring relationships. Journal of Organizational Behavior2012; 33:1071-1094.
6. Tracy EA, Jagsi R, Starr R, Tarbell NJ. Outcomes of a pilot faculty mentoring program. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology (2004) 191, 1846e50
7. Morzinski JA, Diehr S, Bower DJ, Simpson DE. A descriptive, cross-sectional study of formal mentoring for faculty. Fam Med 1996;28:434-8.
8. Duda RB. Mentorship in academic medicine: a critical component for all faculty and academic advancement. Current Surgery 2004;3:325-327.
9. Benson CA, Morahan PS, Sachdeva AK, Richman RC. Effective faculty preceptoring and mentoring during reorganization of an academic medical center. MedicalTeacher2002;24:550-557.
10. O*NET Online. http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/29-1067.00: Links: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Work Activities